Sunday, 7 June 2009

A New Project for the Summer.

Given my current employment imposed captivity (and lack of AIB photographic mentors handing me assignments) Ive decided to set myself some projects for the summer, I'm not quite sure what these projects will consist of yet but i'm confident that a little bit of focus will keep me behind of the camera long enough not to get rusty, as well as making the impending purchase of a new camera all the more justifiable.

I am initially thinking of putting together a few multi-part comps to flex the newly formed Photoshop muscles Ive developed on my travels to London for placement this Easter. Not quite sure what this will involve yet, but if my experiences in London have taught me anything its that advertising photography is as much about creating a convincing comp from many individual source images as it is about getting it right in camera.

On a more traditional note, I would also really like to indulge in one of these one photo a day challenges whereby a photographer endeavors to take edit and publish to the web one photo per day for a whole year, effectively creating a 365 image time line of their photographic development, creating a nice fat portfolio of images in the process. Having a rather large soft spot for portrait photography I and going to endeavor to begin a 365 day portrait project, in an effort to develop my own style, I don't expect it to be pretty during the beginning but i think i have the drive to see it through and hopefully come out the other side all the better for the experience.

I hope to set up a sub-domain on my portfolio site to showcase this project which I will build over the course of the next few weeks. I aim to begin the project in earnest on my birthday, the 2nd of July. Watch this space for images come 02.07.09

If anyone has any other ideas for summer projects, let me know in the comments.

UPDATE:

Looks like David Hobby over at the excellent Stobist.com is thinking similar thoughts, follow the link to read his take on personal projects and self-driven photo challenges , and check out Dustin Diaz's featured 365 project HERE

2 comments:

Tom said...

Still watching...

Tick

Tock

Toby Roberts said...

Unfortunately due to a massive and rather unexpected workload of assisting and weekend jobs away from my computer and camera this project is going to unachievable for a couple of weeks... sorry